What do I need to know before visiting Legoland in Germany?
Legoland is an amusement park for children and adults and it is located in several countries in the world. We visited Legoland in Germany and this park is a must-see for families with children. Children can spend the whole day there having fun, enjoying, exploring, and experiencing many attractions. Not only children but also adults will have a lot of fun there. The park is huge, therefore get ready for one or two full busy days. Now you are asking, what do I need to know before visiting Legoland in Germany? Let’s get started, shall we?
How to get there?
Legoland Deutschland is located in the city of Gunzburg in Germany. If you need a plane to come to Germany, you may need to use close airports in Munich or Stuttgart. Otherwise, you can come to Gunzburg by car, train or bus. If you are coming by car, you can park in front of the park where there is big parking available for visitors. In case you came by train or bus, you can either take a taxi or there is public transport going from the main bus station.
Where to stay?
There are many hotels and pensions in Gunzburg where you can stay. If you have a car, the best option is to stay in one of the partner hotels of Legoland as they are providing you with two days’ tickets to the park when you are staying two nights with them. It is a great deal, however, these hotels are situated out of the city. By car, it can take 20 to 50 minutes. If you don’t have a car I recommend staying in the city, close to the park, and then buying your park tickets separately.
I highly recommend pension Kristalpark where we stayed. It is a small pension with only five rooms, however, it is very clean, new and modern. There is a kitchen for your need to use in case you would like to make a tea or coffee, use fridge or dishes. Next to the big kitchen is a small kids’ kitchen where children can play. Breakfast is included and there are big choices for such a small pension.
The owner has a big garden with a trampoline, slide, and swing for kids, which she let us use for our daughter. She even picked us up from the train station, which was included in the price. We found her very helpful, kind, and friendly.
The best thing is they also provide transportation to Legoland for 10 euros there and 10 euros back. Therefore if you don’t have a car, this is a great option as you don’t have to search for a taxi or waste time on public transportation.
This pension has a great location as you can walk to the city center or train station, in about 10 minutes.
How much and for how long?
As I mentioned above, when you stay with the partner’s hotel for two nights, you will get an entrance ticket for two days. Otherwise, you buy tickets per day. We paid 44 euros per person per day. Children under 3 years old are free. The prices can vary based on the season. You can buy tickets from the Legoland website here.
When it comes to food, there are several restaurants, ice cream places, waffle stands, and coffee shops all over the park with reasonable prices. For example, pizza costs around 10 euros, doughnut costs 2 euros, and one scoop of ice cream 1.5 euros, so it is not overpriced. You can of course bring your own water and some snacks. However, a drinking water facility was installed next to each bathroom.
For how many days you should go? There are 64 attractions in 10 park areas. Not all attractions are suitable for small children. Therefore if you have young children, maybe under 6-8 years old, depending on how tall they are as well, you can do it in one day. However, older children can use all attractions, therefore to have more time and enjoy everything in the park, two days are better.
How old do you need to be?
There is no restriction on age to enter the park. However, there are restrictions on the attractions. There is not much for children under 3 years old, except a small playground in Duplo village and a water fun area. Baby service and changing facilities can be found in every bathroom.
To use the attractions, children must be 80 cm tall to ride the smallest rides alone or some other accompanied by an adult. For some other attractions, they must be 100, 110, or 120 cm tall. Above 120 they can use all attractions. You can see the restrictions next to each attraction on the map of the park and inside the park itself.
What Attractions there are in the park?
There are 10 different areas in the park.
- Miniland – there are miniatures of the cities or buildings made of Lego bricks. For example, you can find there Venice, even the boats around the city are moving. It is amazing how they paid attention to every detail. There is Berlin, Frankfurt, Netherland, the six tallest buildings in the world, the Allianz football arena, and more.
- Lego City – Here you can find rides like planes for small children, sailing on boats, which is also for children above 80 cm accompanied by an adult, junior driving school for children 3-6 years old, and driving school for kids 7-13 years old. They even receive a driving license once they finish. Legoland factory is here too and train that takes you around Legoland, which is a nice journey for all ages.
- Little Asia – Here is only one ride suitable for people above 125 cm or 7 years old and it is so much fun.
- Land der Ritter – There is Dragon rollercoaster suitable from 110 cm or 6 years with an adult, a smaller dragon from 100 cm or 4 years with an adult, for children above 90 cm or 4 years there is a horse they can ride alone.
- Imagination – In this area is an observation deck from which you can see the whole Legoland from the top and it is suitable for children above 80 cm with an adult. There is also a police station labyrinth for children above 120 cm. In this area, you will also find Duplo village with a playground and water fun area eligible for the little ones. Also, the baby service is located here.
- Land der Abenteuer – In this area, you can go on a jungle expedition if you are above 100 cm or 4 years with an adult. You have to count that you may get wet here. Then there is the Kanu expedition which is a canoe ride for children above 80 cm and also Safari tour is here suitable for children above 80 cm with an adult.
- Land der Pharaonen – In this area you will magically appear in Egypt. There is a Temple expedition where you go by car inside a pyramid and you can play a competition game shooting with a gun. It is suitable for children above 90 cm with an adult. Also, an excursion with a hot air balloon is here for children above 95 cm with an adult.
- Land der Piraten – This is a pirates area with a pirate’s school or a ride on a boat where you will get very wet. Drying machines are available for 2 euros there. This ride is for children above 80 cm with an adult.
- Lego Ninjago World – In this area you will feel you are in Asia. There are two rides for bigger kids and a small playground with lego bricks to play with for the little ones.
- Lego X-Treme – is the last area and based on the name is suitable for taller and older children from 100 cm and 6 years with an adult. There is Atlantis by sea life where you are like inside of a submarine watching underwater life. There is another big rollercoaster and one water attraction.
These are just examples of the attractions, of course, I didn’t name them all. Close to the exit you can find a clothes shop and Lego shop where you can buy some souvenirs. I recommend leaving it till the end as the attractions are closed one hour before the park closes. The opening hours during the summer months are from 10 am until 7 pm. The other months close at 6 pm with some exceptions. You can always check the opening hours on their website.
Lovely day in Legoland Deutschland
It was a lovely day spent in Legoland Deutschland, we all had so much fun and our daughter was totally amazed and she enjoyed it to the fullest. No matter how old the children are, they will love to spend a day or two here, which will bring them memories of a lifetime and stories that they can tell to their friends. I hope you found everything that you need to know before visiting Legoland in Germany in this article. If you still have any questions, you can contact me in the comment below.